Craft art and Iowa makers bring variety to Brunnier Art Museum

CATEGORIES: Announcements

University Museums at Iowa State University announces the exhibition “Collective Craft: Studio and Contemporary Makers from the Permanent Collection.” The exhibition is open through Jully 22, 2022 in the Brunnier Art Museum second floor of the Scheman Building. “Collecting Craft” gives visitors insight into the evolution of craft art through a range of forms and techniques.

About the exhibition

A variety of artistic mediums including wood, ceramics, metal, and fiber are featured in the Collecting Craft exhibition. All objects are part of University Museums’ permanent collection and each documents the dedication of artists working in craft media and exhibits the artists’ reverence for the highly skilled work needed to create these works of art. The processes have often been handed down through many generations of makers and those traditional methods are built upon by contemporary innovation.

“Working on the Collecting Craft exhibition has really opened my eyes to the art and beauty present in everyday items. I love seeing the creativity that artists employed while using very traditional materials,” said Hannah Brennan, University Museums’ Pohlman Fellow and ISU senior majoring in history. “I hope that on my tour of the exhibition, I can give attendees an appreciation for the skill and work needed to produce these works of art. Also, for the cultural traditions that continue to be preserved and adapted by contemporary makers in craft media.”

For additional information about the exhibition, please visit this link.