August 17 update from the dean

CATEGORIES: Announcements

Dear LAS faculty, staff, graduate students and postdocs,

You may have heard about groups of students congregating this weekend, not wearing face coverings and not keeping a safe distance from one another. Please know that the university takes this very seriously. All college deans, including me, sent messages to their students over the weekend, to urge safe behaviors and encourage the modeling of safe behaviors. While we cannot manage every activity off campus, we can remind students of the hard work all of you have done over the summer to make an in-person semester possible and remind them of the potential consequences of behaviors and activities. I ask you to join me in encouraging safe behaviors and being a positive role model for students.

I would like to introduce you to the LAS Emergency Response Team and some resources as we start what promises to be a unique semester.

The LAS Emergency Response Team is available to assist instructors (faculty and graduate students) and staff with issues such as additional signage in classrooms or questions about processes in the event of a reported positive COVID-19 case. Faculty and staff can initiate a query by sending an email to las-response@iastate.edu. This will initiate a trackable issue and the request will be directed to an appropriate team member for response. If you are unable to send an email you can call 515-294-7740. We will get back to you promptly.

Please remember that classroom technology issues should still be directed to the solution center: 515-294-4000. This number is posted in all ISU classrooms.

Members of the LAS Response Team include:

• Arne Hallam, Associate Dean
  • Amy Slagell, Associate Dean
  • Andrew Albinger, Director of IT
  • Amy Juhnke, Director of Communications
  • Jennifer Owens, Director of Student Services

The university established a University Response Team, for non-LAS specific concerns. Faculty and staff can report a problem or share ideas for solutions by calling: 800-447-1985.

I walked around campus today, talking to students waiting for their classes. I feel very encouraged by what I observed: students were wearing their masks and keeping a safe distance from each other.

Thank you again for your hard work, and for collectively promoting a safe community! If they made face coverings for cats, I know Micah would join me in encouraging safe behaviors.

Micah with mask

Best wishes,

Beate