Ways to stay productive over break

CATEGORIES: Uncategorized

Winter Break is here! Time to become one with the sofa, eat all the food in the house, and enjoy much needed time with family. It’s great to relax and enjoy the break from stressful course work but it is also important to still be somewhat productive over break. Here are a few ways to stay productive over break (and yes, most can still be done from the sofa).

1. Apply for jobs, internships and scholarships An activity you can still do all cuddled up on the sofa is to apply for jobs, internships and scholarships! Break is a great way to get things accomplished without school interfering. This allows one to devote more time and attention to items that typically get put off during the semester because of projects and homework!

2. Get ready for classes Another activity that can be done from the sofa! A good way to spend some time over break is preparing for the upcoming semester. Ordering your books, printing syllabi, and mapping out your day is something productive that can easily be done from the sofa. I am crazy involved so planning my days takes a lot of work with classes, work, meetings and finding time for myself. I utilize the ample free time I have over breaks to get this all ready to go for when school starts back up!

3. Stay involved with clubs and organizations While classes have halted for a few weeks, other commitments may not have. Some clubs and organizations still have work that needs to be done over break but thankfully, it isn’t as stressful since courses have halted. Dance Marathon? The good thing about this commitment, is it can still probably be done on the sofa. I know the majority of my clubs and organization commitments will be centered around email so my laptop and I can continue to be comfy on the sofa.

4. Try something new This one can potentially still be done on the sofa but might be harder. You will soon find you have so much free time over break that you don’t know what to do with yourself, so why not try something new? If you really don’t want to part with that sofa, try knitting! If you feel the sofa life just isn’t for you anymore, try something like baking. I will be making use of my free time over break by starting an internship a couple weeks early!

5. Exercise Now this one has to be done off the sofa. If you are anything like me, you always want to be good and workout during the school year but again, classes and homework just gets in the way. A good way to ensure good health during the upcoming semester is to create a good habit over break. It takes about 21 days to form a habit which is just enough time to form the habit of exercising over break!

Okay, so that last one might be a stretch. I know it would be a lot to work out almost every day of break to try and get used to working out before the semester starts up, but hey, it’s an idea! The other ideas might be more realistic as they can be done from the sofa but if you are up for the challenge, then do something productive off the sofa.

Posted by: Lauren “Apple” Walker