LAS offers a network of support on a large campus

CATEGORIES: Uncategorized

Iowa State University is a big campus. And on top of dozens of majors and minors, it offers limitless options for clubs, sports and other opportunities for students to get involved.

Despite the sea of choices, Bennett Ford has never felt like he was left to figure it out alone.

“One thing I didn’t expect when I started at ISU was how supportive the faculty and advisers would be,” he said. “I don’t know it all, but my advisers know me and they care about my success.”

Bennett, a junior majoring in public relations with a minor in music, has dreams of doing PR in the Nashville music industry after graduating. But he has an unexpected Plan B, too: working in Student Affairs for a college or university.

“I’ve been able to work with new college students since my second semester at Iowa State,” he said. “I’ve come to realize that I love working with college students. It’s a job where you can really make an impact in a person’s life. As a freshman, I sought out people who could mentor me and now I want to do the same thing for new students.”

The support network in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences is what Bennett loves most. He said his advisers look out for him and make him want to learn.

“Here, you’ll make a lot of personal connections,” he said. “You won’t just sit in a class. There is a support network in LAS made up of people who want you to succeed. “