Here we are everyone, only four weeks left! Do you know what that means? Finals, wahoo!
Oh, you aren’t excited? Huh…
It doesn’t matter if this is your first time taking final exams or your tenth time, there is no way to make the tests themselves easier. However, there are ways to prepare for these exams to make it easier on yourself. Here are some tips on how to survive finals:
1. Find out if the exam is cumulative – Ask your professor ASAP if your final will be over the most recent unit or if it will cover all of the material from the semester. If the exam is cumulative you will need as much time as you can get to prepare.
2. Ask ask ask – If you have test anxiety or feel like you might struggle in another way with an exam, speak to your academic adviser and professors now! They will be able to help you or offer advice for how to prepare for the exam. For more information on accommodations visit The Dean of Students Office Website. Trust me, you are not the first student to ask for help, it is okay!
3. Plan ahead – We students like to joke about about procrastination but time management for final exams is no joke! There is no making up or rescheduling a final exam so being prepared before testing is important. Use the class syllabus or course calendar to see what material you need to study and make a schedule for when you will study certain material. Here are some more resources for making a study schedule.
4. Find your study space – It’s important to find a place where you can focus on your study material. That place might be the desk in your room, a secret classroom on campus or just the library. Where ever it is, go there! Do not put yourself in a place where you know you’ll get distracted. Check out the LAS Ambassadors’ favorite study spots here.Photo Cr: Iowa State Daily
5. Find your happy place – On the flip side of the last tip, it’s important to know when enough is enough. Finals can drive you mad and too much stress won’t help you succeed. Know when to take a break (no, not after every paragraph) and what to do with that break time. Hit the gym, call your grandma or go get lunch with a friend. Avoid unproductive breaks like Netflix or games on your phone, those might drain your motivation and focus.
Only one month left so make the best of it! Using these tips you should be able to manage your finals and still make some memories before the semester ends. Good luck!
Posted by: Sarah Curran