The Three Things You Need to Know About LAS Ambassadors

CATEGORIES: Uncategorized

I get questions all the time about what exactly I do as a College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (LAS) Ambassador, so I thought I would take the time to tell you all about my amazing opportunity! What do we do? Well…..

1. Fun Events!
An LAS Ambassador at a Homecoming event

Most everyone knows about the fun events that are offered at Iowa State, such as Homecoming and the Picnic on the Plaza, but not everyone knows that events like these are sponsored partially by the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. My job as an ambassador is to promote these events and make them as fun as possible! Sometimes, this means being a little crazy myself. Dancing around in front of everyone, singing (horribly) to popular songs, and handing out free stuff (like pizza and ice cream)!

1. Open Option Meetings

Ah yes, one of my favorite events as an LAS Ambassador: Open Option Meetings. As most of you know (actually, I don’t know how many people actually know this), Open Option is the largest “major” at Iowa State! Or rather I should say the “largest area of study decision” at Iowa State. A large number of students come to Iowa State either completely indecisive about what they want for a major, or just a little hesitant about declaring a particular major. One of my jobs as an LAS Ambassador is to talk with these students in a small group setting, answer any questions they may have, and assure them that it’s okay to be Open Option! I actually came in Open Option myself. I eventually declared Political Science, Pre-Business, and Pre-Law, but switched to Mathematics and Secondary Education, where I sit today. I like to think of myself as a pretty cool, “rad” person, so if I came in Open Option, it obviously must be the “rad” thing to do! (I don’t actually use the word “rad” in real life speech)

1. Experience Iowa State!!!
LAS Ambassadors at EIS

What’s better than talking to hundreds of prospective students in a matter of minutes??? NOTHING, that’s what! At Experience Iowa State, LAS Ambassadors talk with students who are thinking about majoring in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Want to talk with someone who wants to major in Anthropology? Experience Iowa State! Someone who wants to major in Music Education? Experience Iowa State! Someone who wants to major in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology??? EXPERIENCE IOWA STATE!!! Your excitement is their excitement, and if there’s one thing I love, it’s sharing my love for Iowa State with others!

Well there you have it. Just a few of the things we do as LAS Ambassadors. If you are interested in becoming one of these ELITE, AMAZING Ambassadors, email one (or both) of our advisers: Dylan West (dawest@iastate.edu) and Kathy Houseman (houseman@iastate.edu)!!! We would love to have you on the team!

Posted by: Michael Cox