Choosing My Adventure at Iowa State

CATEGORIES: Uncategorized
Me and a friend at Jack Trice Stadium

A lot of people always ask me why I chose to go to Iowa State University.  That answer brings up a lot of memories of looking at different colleges and making the biggest choice of my life.

When I first came to tour Iowa State I had no idea what to expect since it was my first time in Iowa and one of my first college tours that had a student population of more than 10,000.  I planned on talking to a Mass Communications major which was something that totally interested me and thought that if I loved the college I would love my program.

We took the exit off of highway 30, the that one drives past Jack Trice Stadium, and I instantly got the feeling that I was home.  I had not even stepped foot on campus, yet I had the feeling that I was home.

When I finally toured campus I saw myself taking Cyride to class, living in the residence halls, working out at State and Lied, hanging out on central campus, getting involved in one of the 800 clubs, and walking around the Zodiac.  That feeling I got grew stronger when I met with an adviser and we discussed academics.  The academic adviser was really knowledgeable about the program and the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and answered my every question.  She generally cared about me and wanted me to love Iowa State as much as she did.

Needless to say, the choice to go to Iowa State was a very easy one for me.  Three years, two majors, five clubs, and endless memories later, I consider myself home and have found the perfect fit for me.

My advice to any student touring Iowa State is, ditch your parents.  This needs to be your decision so you need to look for a college that gives you the feeling of being home while being alone.  Walk around central campus, stand under the Campanile, go into a classroom, get coffee from the library, or visit Lancelot and Elaine.

Don’t just do this at Iowa State, be independent on every college visit you go on.  After all, the choice is yours.  Remember, it is not only where you will spend the next four years of your life, it is a place you will call home and a place where memories will be made and shared for a lifetime.

Posted by: Kenzie Markland