Step Right Up! Use This Resource!

CATEGORIES: Uncategorized

The best piece of advice I received before coming to college was to go to a professor’s office hours. Professors are always excited to see you come in and ask for help when you need it. As a junior, in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, I still hold to this piece of advice and utilize this resource when I need it most. Here are the top 4 reasons why utilizing office hours are great!

Dr. Al Wanamaker Assistant Professor of Geological and Atmospheric Sciences
  1. Helps with communication style!

Through my experiences of office hours I have learned to communicate more effectively with people in power. As a freshman the idea of going in to a professor’s office freaked me out and generally led to a pep talk outside their office. As a junior, I know that I can do it. I know that when I get into the work force I will have the confidence in my communication style because I took the opportunity to discuss and understand areas that I don’t understand.

1. Professors give hints on the next test!

Who doesn’t love a helpful hint for the next test? When going in and talking to a professor they might let you know what areas to focus on for the upcoming exam. That could be a difference from a B+ to a B. Some professors will reward students that come in to their office hours to ask questions before the next test.

1. Could help improve your grade!

While this could be grouped in with the test idea, some professors will give back points on an exam if you go in and see them. Or in other cases it could be the difference from an A or a B for the participation grade in smaller classes. By going and talking to professors it shows them that you care about your grade and you are really trying to get an A in their class.

1. Professors aren’t scary!

This probably is the biggest thing I have learned through my time spent at Iowa State. Professors are people too and have families and like to talk to their students. They have stories that they like to share with their students and it helps the student and professor get to know each other better. Through the time spent creating a relationship with that professor it could lead to leadership opportunities in the department or even a reference when trying to land that awesome internship! I have enjoyed every class I have taken in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and I encourage you to take advantage of this resource too!

Posted by: Kenzie Markland